Friday 18 May 2012

Volcanic Splash by Sam Smith

We sat on the floor in front of the waist-high bookcase and scanned the shelves, which were packed with DVD cases.

‘Star Wars?’ She pulled out the copy of The Phantom Menace, and started reading the blurb on the back.

‘If we’re watching Star Wars, we’re not watching that bloody one,’ I said. ‘It’s just there to complete the set.’

She nodded and slid it back into the row. ‘I wondered why it still had the wrapping on.’

‘Because it’s not worth the hassle.’

‘What about Back to the Future?’

I shook my head. ‘I watched them last week.’

‘Lord of the Rings?’

‘Those were a gift from my aunt. You will notice that they are also still in the wrapping because those films are bullshit. Three slow, repetitive and boring movies all to throw a ring into a volcano. Might as well watch red paint dry.’

She sighed. ‘Well fine, what do you want to watch?’

My eyes flicked along the shelves. In my head, I found a reason to not watch any of the DVDs I owned. ‘None of them.’

She hummed. It wasn’t a musical hum. It was quite an annoyed hum. A single, flat note.

I stood up and walked to the kitchen. ‘I’m fine with whatever you want to watch.’

‘Mission Impossible?’

‘Nope.’

No comments:

Post a Comment