Saturday 12 May 2012

Brooklyn Nights by Matthew Tomlin

I miss those nights.

Where Tasha would play monsters with me under the kitchen table.

Where Bobby would race me out in the garden.

Where Granddaddy would tell me stories about my mum when she was my age.

Where Grandmamma would help me to read as I sat on her lap, covered by a patchwork blanket.

Where Mum would let me have a cookie just before I brushed my teeth.

Where Dad would pick me up and spin me around in the living room.

Where Buster would bark at me until I cuddled him.

Where Gary would purr when I snuck him ham from the fridge.

Where Annie from next door would return the football I kicked over the fence.

Where I always knew, no matter what,

That Mum and Dad would tuck me in, kiss me goodnight,

And say ‘I love you.’

No comments:

Post a Comment