Sunday 20 May 2012

African Adventure by Lesley Whyte

"It's called African Adventure? We're thinking about shooting in Africa? Because animal prints are really in right now?"

Why does she do that? Why does her voice inflect upwards at the end like everything's a question? It's incredibly irritating. I should fire her just for that.

"And Africa has lots of animals in it?"

She pauses. I'm required to say something. I look down at the sketches and photos and sample items she's brought in and splayed across my desk. It's not bad, exactly, but it's tired. I mean, come on, animal prints in Africa? What's next, urban styling in a city?

"Hm."

She seems to take this as an encouraging sound. She starts pointing out the features,
sounding a little more confident now. Only every other sentence ends as a question. Africa has lots of animals in it. For God's sake.

"Hm," I say again.

"We can still make any changes that you-"

"It's a lot like the V spread from last July."

"I can see why you'd think that? Because of the animal prints? But they did tiger prints? And
ours is...like a wider spectrum?"

"Hm." I pull one of the sketches towards me, wanting to examine it more closely. It's good,
striking, a pale model in a tiger print bikini against such a dramatic backdrop. I wish we could have something more original, like that damned underwater shoot that Jules Sutcliffe pulled out from nowhere in April. "Fine, go with it. But for God's sake get a black model. Do you know how many complaints we got after we only had white girls in our Indian Exotic spread?"

No comments:

Post a Comment