Wednesday 15 January 2014

Gone in 60 Seconds by Aimee Topham

“Hey, you know, I was thinking, maybe we should move in together.” She smiled coyly and leaned in closer. Jared’s eyes shot open. “I know it’s only been a week, but I really like you, and they say you never know a person until you live with them! I was thinking, maybe I could come live with you? That way we could save on rent until we’re ready to buy a bigger place…?”

Jared coughed. “Erm, Yeah. Listen, Katie?” He smiled weakly, and started the whole speech. To be fair, his was pretty original. No “it’s not you, it’s me – “ like David. Or, was it Michael? Katie’s exes were many and varied, though all clingy. This was her third break-up this month. No, Jared went with the actual persuasive, logical argument. Quoting taxes, rent, and how much they actually knew each other. Mentioning flats that were bigger and of a similar price… Katie’s forehead knotted. But then, she started nodding. And responding.

Bugger.



Katie! Hi! Fancy seeing you here! You know, I was just talking about you! We need to catch up soon, come to the bathroom with me?” I grabbed her arm and marched her off. “What the hell are you doing? Sixty seconds to get rid of the guy, that’s what you told me!”

“I know,” Katie whined. “But he’s really persuasive!” She was taking the opportunity to fix her hair in the mirror. I glared at the back of her head. 

“You need to get rid of him. He’s a clinger, didn’t you say? A ‘draining, leeching slob’? And that being clingy yourself would put him off?” My voice was going so high, my throat was starting to hurt.

“Just cause you can’t get a boy to move in with you in sixty seconds.” She whipped around and stared at me, eyes challenging.

I grinned back. “Sixty seconds…. You’re on!” I turned to saunter out of the bathroom and threw my last remark over my shoulder. “Just… get rid of the clinger.”



No comments:

Post a Comment