Sunday 12 May 2013

Unsaid Things by Nick Trussler

‘So, that’s it?’

‘I’m afraid so,’ she said, looking down at the floor.

‘Is it because-’

‘No.’

Silence.

‘Look, I know I wasn’t the best…’

‘It’s not that. That doesn’t matter.’

‘I mean the end doesn’t have to mean the end does it? I mean-’

‘Don’t, just…don’t.’

I can’t bear to look at her face. So I look at her feet instead.

She painted the nails red today.

‘I can change you know…’

When you don’t know what else to say you rely on clichés.

‘There’s nothing for you to change’

I’m half expecting her to add: “it’s not you, it’s me.” But she doesn’t.

‘Well…we’ll be friends though, of course?’

‘Mmm, yeah of course.’

Silence.

‘Maybe what we need is just a little time-’

‘No.’

‘But-’

‘No. I’m sorry, but after…’

Pause.

‘…after…all of that…I mean…I think you understand, don’t you?’

‘Yes, of course. No, I…maybe one day I will.’

‘Yes.’

I breathe in. I can smell her perfume. I feel a little sick.

Silence.

‘So I guess…’

‘Yeah…I should be going…’

God how to end this? It was nice knowing you? Good luck? Better luck next time?

So I say nothing. Sometimes leaving things unsaid is the only thing you can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment