Monday 13 May 2013

No More Sorrow by Ben Hayward

The corridor was covered in that cheap plastic board, the type that your local councillor's office is presumably covered in. The thin stench of cigarette smoke stuck to the old linoleum flooring.

“Well mister Daniels, we can see you're than qualified for this position.”
“You can?”
“Yes we can. This is just an informal interview, for us to get to know you.”

The interviewer crooned toward me, showing off her cleavage slightly. Her face had been dried out from a lifetime of on again off again smoking. From her breath I could tell that it hadn't been long since her last.

“So what do you want to know?”
“The tiny details, what makes you tick.”
“Why I should have the job over the others?”
“Something like that.”

She made some loose gesture toward someone behind me in the lobby. The lock on the door shut and the blinds went down, as if by clockwork. The haggard middle-aged woman seemed to be undressing me with her eyes, crawling slowly across the table.

“I swear I've seen a movie about this kind of thing before.”

As if by lightning her predatory gaze was shattered. I'd hit the panic button. The get out of jail free card. She resumed her place back in her seat and straightened her suit.

“Well I'm motivated, hard working and a team player. I know the ins and outs of Microsoft Office.”

Her face didn't move, remaining tight jawed. Eventually I just got up to leave. The door had not been unlocked.

“You know that there is only one way out of this office, right?”

I looked at the office's window and held my breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment