Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Sound of Silence by Sara Travis

In restless dreams you walk alone. But open your eyes, let the daylight in, and there you will find me. A nameless face to you, but yours smiles from photographs lining the walls, the mantle. A gentleman in a suit and tie, clutching the hand of a smiling young woman in white. Leaning over the bow of a ship, flashing a smile back at the camera. Cradling an infant in strong arms, lips puckered, eyes watery. On horses, in cars with the top down, grinning in bowling alleys, cooking Sunday brunch, picnics and bike rides and parties and bedtime stories and anniversaries and Christmases.

I will preserve your memories, my love, for they are all that’s left you. Through the fog you battle on, and every day I will pretend your indifference to my presence doesn’t hurt. Because I am here and you are not alone. You are never alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment