Monday 27 May 2013

Hysteria by Lesley Whyte

"Did you know that the word hysteria comes from the Latin for woman? Because it was thought that only women could become hysterical? Something to do with their menstruation or lady bits, I didn't fully understand that part. But it's interesting, right? And it must be some comfort to you, I suppose, knowing that none of this is your fault. That you're only hysterical because you're a woman."

I lunged across the table and tried to throttle him. Not because I was hysterical, but because he was being really fucking obnoxious. And he was wrong. Hysteria does not come from the Latin for woman, it comes from the word for uterus. And, actually, I think it's Greek. But whatever. Apparently you can't try to throttle your father and then bite the orderly that tries to restrain you and still have people believe you're sane. What a fucked up world we live in.



No comments:

Post a Comment